Peace Child by Pickle13 (1B)
When my mom first handed me this book I read the first sentence and instantly thought it was going to be the most boring book I would ever read. "As the sun rose, Yae gazed down through the floor slats of his Mauro village tree house at the dark surface of the Kronkel River forty feet below." I thought that the book was going to be about a young African boy and how he lived and what he did, another boring history book. But once I kept reading Peace Child, I realized that it was probably the most exciting book I had ever read. The only reason that I found it exciting was because it was so gross. Yae was a member of a tribe who lived in the Mauro village. He was killed almost instantly though. I thought he was going to be the main character and stay alive all through the book. But, I was incredibly wrong. Yae was murdered by cannibals and eaten.
The book explained every little detail about how he was murdered and how he was shredded up and how he was passed out amongst the cannibals and eaten! It was so nauseating that I couldn't help but gag and hold my stomach! It kept getting worse! The cannibals also just had some completely stomach-churning superstitions and religious ways. This book was also just over all confusing. First, it seemed like Yae was going to be the main character but then he was torn to pieces. Second, it focused on the cannibals that had killed Yae. Then, it brought missionaries into the picture and suddenly the book was using first person! So the book finally did have a main character but it was just perplexing how many stages it went through before it finally came to the main part of the book! Peace Child would be nowhere near being my favorite book but it was a pretty exciting story and having read all the cannibalized ways, I was dragged into wanting to read the rest. Not bad for a history book!

2 Comments:
This is an interesting report that really makes me want to read the book!
The paragraph break isn't at the best place. See if you can put the paragraph breaks in such a way that there's basically one main idea in each paragraph. I think it should be 3 paragraphs, actually.
I love "nauseating" and "stomach-churning!"
Your book report was great!You make the book sound very interesting.I like your word choice and how you discribed
everything so well.It is awesome that you don't leave anything out even if it is gross.
:D
Horsefeathers10
Post a Comment
<< Home